10 Must-Know Facts About Physical Therapy
Physical therapy is an important method that helps in the overall functioning of the body. This has many interesting facts too that many of us are not aware of. The method involves the use of temperature change to bring about relief but do you know the method also involves the use of a minimum amount of electric current in bringing a soothing effect on the nerves and muscle endings.
Image source: Fitness Sunset Sport - Free photo on Pixabay
Here we have to know the importance of few medical terminologies before going into the topic in detail.
Tendon – The end of the muscle which is connected with the bone. The presence of tendons helps in the coordinated movement of the limbs.
Limbs – The outward projections in a body that help in the movement and doing any activity is called limbs.
Chronic – The disorder or effect that stays for a long time in the body.
Actin – It is a type of fiber that helps in the contraction of the muscles attached to the bones.
Myosin – certain proteins help in the relaxation of the muscle fibers that help in the movement.
Orthopedic – They are physicians specialized in bone formation and their defects.
- Physiotherapy has an undiverted effect on the body’s flexibility and increasing the stamina of muscles even in pregnant women. This helps and gives confidence to the mother to having to be able to deliver the baby through normal delivery.
- Physical therapy also helps in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease in elderly people which was proved by scientific research work.
- The positive effects of the therapy found its importance in the world war also were soldiers were treated with physical therapy and made to fight for the nation.
- This was initially a female dominant profession owing to the patience it demanded. Nowadays men are also choosing the profession for job satisfaction.
- Physical therapy as we all know involves not only Osteopedics but also includes geriatric, Pediatric, Neurological and Cardiopulmonary.
- Physiotherapy harms the body and that is it causes fatigue, soreness, and muscle weakness in elderly people.
- This is mainly in patients with the chronic disorder and elderly patients that don’t allow to regain the elasticity of the muscles.
- The elasticity in muscles is caused due to presence of specific fibers like actin and myosin which help in quick contraction and relaxation of the muscles and thereby helps in the movement of limbs. This elasticity is reduced in muscles as it gets aged and hence the movement of limbs is also reduced drastically
- Physiotherapy is indeed a pain-relieving process but to our understanding, the process of doing it is painful in some situations, and a lot of patience is required from the patient side to accept what is happening is for the good of the body.
- Every individual is unique and we know our body reacts in a different way to different medicines. So does physical therapy also where some people find it very difficult to get used to the exercises or their body exhibits pain in the process more than it has to be.
- A physiotherapist cannot work individually and it has to go hand in hand with the health check prescribed by the doctor to whom the patient has addressed his problem first.
- This is often an Osteopedic doctor who has a wide idea about the bone function and can make out where physiotherapy can help the patient in bringing relief and reverse the discomfort.
- electrotherapy which is considered as a branch of physiotherapy is effective in bringing down the chronic and acute pain in patients with one disadvantage which irritates skin due to overuse of adhesive electrodes or tape holding the electrodes
- As any person gets used to the process he gets addicted to the relief it causes and slowly gets to a state where he requires treatment for every small pain or cramps in the body.
In such a condition the patient may not continue with the process and must always keep in mind therapy is a method of the treatment process and it must not be done frequently as it turns into an addiction.
We can site about another type of physiotherapy which is called acupuncture therapy. This is done by activating points in the body that is connected to the nerve endings that has a stimulator effect on the body.
This stimulation causes a drastic effect on the health of the individual and it can improvise the health conditions of the patient by all means. This method uses small needles that are pinned at specific points on the body. Though it does not cause any harm to the body acupuncture is not followed by many people due to ignorance and fear about any damage to the skin surface.
It is an ancient medicine in which needles are used and are inserted in different parts of the body. You may not realize but this technique was used 3000 years ago and still being done.
This must flow through the body without any restrictions. If there are restrictions then this leads to illness. Acupuncture works on various types of neck problems and post-chemotherapy nausea and vomiting. This is essentially a method to increase the well-being of a person.
A combination of these two methods of therapy brings about a drastic improvement in the health condition of a patient.
From a personal view about these methods, it’s far better than using surgery as a method to get relief from pain or discomfort. Though it’s a slow process in combination with various other processes it is the most beneficial, healthy, and economical method that can be employed for any disorder that has time to recover even cancer in an early stage can be recovered using Physical therapy.